Myth: I use bleach and water to sanitize my countertops and the more bleach I use the more bacteria I kill.

March 31st, 2011 by mike Leave a reply »

Myth:  I use bleach and water to sanitize my countertops and the more bleach I use the more bacteria I kill.

 Fact:  There is no advantage to using more bleach.  In fact, overuse of bleach can be harmful because it is not safe to consume.  To create a sanitizing solution it is recommended that you use 1 tablespoon of unscented liquid bleach per gallon of water.  Flood the countertop with the solution, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then pat with clean, dry paper towels or allow to air dry.  Any leftover sanitizing solution can be stored, tightly covered, for up to one week.  After that, the bleach has lost its effectiveness.

Advertisement

Comments are closed.