KYPAP logo

Important information for unmarried parents

In order for the father's name to appear on your child's birth certificate at the time of birth, a Paternity Acknowledgment Affidavit must be completed. The form will be available for the father to sign at the hospital after the birth of your child. Both parents must sign the same form. The easiest way to acknowledge paternity is to sign the affidavit before you leave the hospital.

You can also sign the form at the Martin County Health Department if for some reason both parents are not available to sign the Paternity Acknowledgment at the hospital.

When signing the form, both parents must provide a picture I.D., such as a driver's license, work or school I.D.

If you have any questions concerning the program, please contact the Martin County Health Department at 606-298-7752, or the Kentucky Paternity Acknowledgment Pragram, 888-675-7425.